BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired

Two years ago I was diagnosed with what I thought was a joke. I brushed it off and continued as if everything was fine. Now, as I write this all I can think is that I wish I would have listened. While others may do the same, I plead to you on re-thinking it. After my brother was murdered I constantly got sick. everyone was very worried about me and when I told the doctor my symptoms he told me something that made me laugh. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, better known as Depression.


 "Although there is no blood test to diagnose depression, there are well-developed guidelines used by health care professionals to diagnose major depressive disorder. One of these guidelines, developed by the American Psychiatric Association, is called the DSM-IV®. Your health care professional may ask you questions based on this established diagnostic tool.

According to the DSM-IV, major depressive disorder (or "depression") is diagnosed when five or more of the following symptoms of depression are present for most of the day, nearly every day for at least 2 weeks. At least one of the symptoms must be either persistent sad or "empty" feelings or loss of interest in activities.
    
    A Sad Sunflower
  • Constant sadness
  • Irritability
  • Hopelessness
  • Trouble sleeping
  • Low energy or fatigue
  • Feeling worthless or guilty for no reason
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Loss of interest in favorite activities





Be sure to tell your health care professional if you're experiencing any of these symptoms as described by the DSM-IV. Also, tell your health care professional if your symptoms are affecting your ability to function at home, at work, or with family, friends, or colleagues." [1] As time went on I realized this was an actual disease. I read all the pamphlets and online information but it never seemed real. I gradually got worse and worse, to the point of attempted suicide. I honestly cannot stress this fact to the world.

 Depression is Real.


Depression is a disease that can be successfully treated. There are a variety of ways to treat depression, including prescription medication and psychotherapy. Everyone is different and some people may use natural remedies such as herbal therapy. Only a health care professional can determine the appropriate option to treat your depression. Many people are able to take medication that will balance their Serotonin's and  Norepinephrine levels in their brain. These two neurotransmitters regulate mood and behavior. In other cases, such as mine, more treatment is needed. Psychotherapy (sounds great right?) is a type of "talk therapy" [2] that evaluates your moods and negative way of thinking. A trained therapist will help you to re arrange your self and way of thought, and yes, Therapists have that power.

It is very important that our growing society is informed of this illness. More and more Americans are plagued with this diesease each day and it is such a horrible diesease.



Citation:
[2] Pifizer, . (2010). Learnin about depression. Retrieved from http://www.pristiq.com/depression_treatment.aspx

[1] Pifizer, Initials. (2010). Learnin about depression. Retrieved from http://www.pristiq.com/depression_symptoms.aspx



0 comments: