BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 1, 2010

Pick Your Poison


My Favorite One! [1]
This week's post is a bit late and I apolagize. I've been fighting my allergies non-stop this week. Your all in for a treat today, this post is about a certain peice of jewelry I have recently fell in love with: Poison Rings. This is a ring that has a compartment which was used to carry small amounts of toxic substances, but that is not the case today.
An Example Of A Funeral Ring [2]
More modern rings like this have been used to carry perfume, locks of hair, devotional relics, messages and even blood. Artists would paint tiny portraits of loved ones, to be carried in what was called a “locket ring,” which was popular during the Renaissance. By the 17th century, jewelers were creating locket rings in the shape of caskets which served as mementos for mourners. These were called “funeral rings.”, as seen in picture 2 .Rings with compartments are also called “box” rings or “socket” rings

Suite101, Initials. (207). "what is a poison ring?". Retrieved from http://www.suite101.com/content/what-is-a-poison-ring-a116752#ixzz118UvDGMs

2 comments:

Nautilus said...

Seemed shorter than usual, but still an interesting post none the less.

Anthony Shackelford said...

that is cool! I think I might get me one! haha jp. but really, it was intersting, and as always, I love your blogs! however, I do agree with Nautilus, it is shorter than usual. try to lengthen it up some next time!